what is node grouping and how does it work?

Having problems with NetMap? Post your issues here for a response from the NetMap community and developers.

what is node grouping and how does it work?

Postby carboncow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:26 am

there is no mention of it in the users manual.
carboncow

Re: what is node grouping and how does it work?

Postby infiniteline » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Yes, I think this got mentioned in a read me file, but I see it is not in the manual. When Node Grouping is turned on, any NetMap items that are linked to a parent object will move when that parent object is. This allows you to arrange a group of items how you want them and then easily reposition them simply by moving their parent object (router, server, etc.). Let me know if you need more information, but if you just turn it on and move some objects, you'll see what it does pretty quickly.

I'll also make sure that gets into the manual. Thanks for pointing it out.
Eric
infiniteline studios
infiniteline
Site Admin

Postby carboncow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Yes I see now how it works. Just to clarify on the immediate child object moves with the parent...grandchildren do not, is this the attended design?
carboncow

Postby carboncow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:31 pm

I should add I really enjoy this project. It's very simply, fully featured and easy to understand. The fact it works on Mac and Windows is brilliant so when I die in a plane crash my successor who knows nothing of OSX will be just fine!

One other odd thing I've noticed. Some how when opening a new Net Map Project if I hit the SAVE button it never prompts me for a name and the new project just disappears. I note that it saves the new project to the name of the last opened project and thus over writes all my hard work!!

I've been able to replicate this several times.
carboncow

Postby carboncow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:31 pm

I should add I really enjoy this project. It's very simply, fully featured and easy to understand. The fact it works on Mac and Windows is brilliant so when I die in a plane crash my successor who knows nothing of OSX will be just fine!

One other odd thing I've noticed. Some how when opening a new Net Map Project if I hit the SAVE button it never prompts me for a name and the new project just disappears. I note that it saves the new project to the name of the last opened project and thus over writes all my hard work!!

I've been able to replicate this several times.

EDIT: Thank goodness for time machine!
carboncow

Postby infiniteline » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi, Sorry to take so long to reply. It seems that the server is not emailing us on posts to this forum. I've added the bug you noticed onto our to do list. We're shooting for a pretty major upgrade to NetMap late this year and of course we'll try to fix as many problematic behaviors as possible.
Eric
infiniteline studios
infiniteline
Site Admin

Return to Support